Monday, April 27, 2009

UPDATE on London

Some of you know that we received some news yesterday that made me a little uneasy. The doctor heard a "harsh murmur" that led her to believe London might have a tiny hole in her heart. She ordered an ECHO (sonogram for the heart) to be conducted today, and we recently received the results from the doctor.

Basically, the doctor called to tell us she actually had 2 tiny holes in her heart. The first condition was referred to as "Atrial Septal Defect" (ASD). The doctor said this was a minimal sized hole, and would most likely repair itself. She will be checked regularly, and if not corrected on its own, it will be repaired with a procedure at approximately 6-8 months old.

The doctor also said she had "Patent Ductus Arteriosus" (PDA). This is another heart defect that is common in premature babies that he said was a moderate sized hole and would also most likely repair itself. He said that if it does not, again, it could be repaired with a procedure at 6-8 months.


He told us that he thinks that "more likely than not", both tiny holes will repair themselves in the coming months. I even spoke with a friend, Amy O., who said both her twin girls also had PDA and it went away on its own. That is so comforting to know!!!


The doctor acted VERY relaxed about everything, and said both of these were very common. From internet research I have done, it also shows both are much more common in females than in males.


I would love for you to continue to keep both babies in your prayers for their health and continued development and growth.

On a more positive note, we heard today there was a good chance that our babies are going to probably "graduate" to the floor upstairs where "less critical" babies go before they are discharged. This is GREAT news and shows me that they feel my babies are progressing nicely. The Physical Therapist will evalute the babies tomorrow on their current status with the suck, swallow, breathe process. I am excited to see what she says! London already smacks on a paci and Jones is somewhat interested. Both have tried breastfeeding and the lactation consultant today praised them both big time. hehe :)

And now for a few photo ops...




4 comments:

  1. What great news about London's heart! Praise God!! The snuggle pics are GREAT!! All of their progress is SUPER! Remember to take care of yourself too as you are back and forth to the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great news about London - I'm sure she will fix herself, no problem!
    I am in love with the pictures of them together! I am so happy they are doing so well! Much love~

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe those big babies were both in your belly at the same time. That thought just struck me while looking at the cute pic of them together. I'm sure you've already had lots of time to process that, but that is crazy.
    I'm glad to hear the good news about the holes hopefully closing on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How sweet that they snuggle so close to each other! They are so beautiful. We will be praying for the holes to close without surgery. Get some rest!!

    ReplyDelete